Choosing a Rescue Organization
Not all Rescue Organizations are the same. You can purchase from the City Pound, a Humane Society, the SPCA or smaller “not for profit” organizations. There are even Rescue Organizations that operate for profit .
Choose a Rescue Organization that shares your vision of dog ownership and is willing to support you for the lifetime of your dog.
Ask the following questions of those you are considering:
- 1- What is their screening process?
- 2- What is their return policy on the dog.
- 3- What is their policy on refunds? Is there is condition or time limit?
- 4- What is their policy on spay and neuter? Early Spay/Neuter can result in an increased incidence of autoimmune disorders and hip dysplasia.
- 5- What is their policy on vaccinations?
- 6- What is their policy on medical expenses for pre-existing medical conditions such as hip dysplasia?
- 7- Do they do behavioural testing on their dogs? What kind of testing is done?
- 8- Can you take the dog for a trial period? For how long? Who is responsible for food and medical expenses during the trial?