Weeks 1 & 2:
-We sleep beside the whelping box to make sure every puppy nurses through the night and the bigger ones don’t bump out the smaller ones.
-Early Neurological Stimulation (ENS) exercises are performed daily on each puppy. This improves heart health and helps stimulate neural development. These benefits last a lifetime.
-As the puppies start to walk, we provide them with a customized learning environment using objects of different sounds, tastes and textures. Our goal is to expose them daily to new sights, sounds and smells as we can.
-They start on solid food which means we can start clicker training!
– Puzzles and problem solving exercises are given to the puppies as well as introductions to the other dogs (and cat) in our family.
– Puppies continue to be exposed to every kind of sound or sensation we can think of, including bird wings.
– They spend more and more time outdoors exploring sand, grass and water.
– Crate training, collar training and leash training is well underway.
– We welcome a variety of visitors who have beards, hats, glasses and deep voices! Young children are especially welcome!
– Classes with our new owners begin and we have a puppy party!
-Puppies are assessed for structure by an independent breeder
-Puppies not in their fear period are temperament tested using several testing strategies including Volhardt.
–Our new families are told which puppy they are getting.
– Families come by to sign our contract, complete the CKC Registration and get to take their baby home!
Week 10 onward
– Red Shadow provides 24×7 support for our families on an ongoing basis. We provide training sessions, dock diving and charity fund raising events as well as health and wellness updates.